Find answers to common questions
On this page
- Is there somewhere I can find help to create my Digital Identity?
- Is my Digital Identity secure?
- Is my personal information protected?
- Is it safe to use biometric information, like facial verification, to prove my identity?
- Is facial verification a reliable way to prove my identity?
- Is it mandatory to use Digital Identity to access services?
- Is creating my Digital Identity free?
- Is the myGovID app compatible with my phone?
- Is there somewhere I can report a privacy breach?
- Is there somewhere I can report an identity crime or scam?
- Is there somewhere I can go for more information?
- Manage my Digital Identity
Is there somewhere I can find help to create my Digital Identity?
Currently, you can create a Digital Identity to access government services through the Australian Government’s myGovID platform. Visit the myGovID support page for details on how to create your Digital Identity.
Soon, you will be able to create and use a Digital Identity to access government services via Australia Post’s Digital iD system. Visit Australia Post’s Digital iD support page for more information.
Over time, we expect this list of Digital Identity providers to grow.
Is my Digital Identity secure?
When using your Digital Identity, you can be confident your personal information is securely encrypted and stored in Australia, protected by strict security protocols set by the Australian Government and only shared with the service you want to access with your consent.
Is my personal information protected?
Safeguarding your identity is a top priority. All personal data involved in the Digital Identity system is encrypted and securely stored in Australia.
Your Digital Identity provider must follow strict rules about how your information is collected, treated, stored and shared. Check with your Digital Identity provider for details on how your personal information is protected.
Once you have your Digital Identity and you want to use it, you will be asked to give your consent before any of your personal details are shared with the service you are trying to access.
Is it safe to use biometric information, like facial verification, to prove my identity?
Your biometric information is protected by a range of safeguards:
- The Digital Identity system will only use your biometric information to prove your identity.
- You only need to enrol using biometric information if you need to prove your identity for higher risk transactions – like those that currently require you to prove your identity in person at a government shopfront or Post Office.
- Your biometric information, like face verification, is only used at enrolment stage. It won’t be required every time you access a service.
- The system will delete your biometric information once it proves your identity.
- You will need to give your consent each time biometric matching is used.
- The system uses strong security and encryption to protect your identity.
Is facial verification a reliable way to prove my identity?
Using biometrics, like your face, to prove who you are online is quick, easy, convenient and reliable. Because biometric information is more difficult to forge than identity documents, it is an important security feature of a digital system and helps stop identity crime. Biometric matching can be used for a variety of purposes, but in the case of a Digital Identity, it is only used to help verify that an individual is a true and live person. It is a secure, convenient and reliable way to check a person is who they claim to be.
Is it mandatory to use Digital Identity to access services?
The decision to create and use a Digital Identity is up to you. If you can’t use Digital Identity, or don’t want to, you can keep accessing government services on the phone or in person at government shop fronts across the country.
Is creating my Digital Identity free?
Yes. The myGovID app is free to use. The myGovID app can save you time and money when you access government services online. Visit the myGovID website to download the myGovID app.
Is the myGovID app compatible with my phone?
The myGovID app is compatible with most iOS and Android devices. Visit the myGovID website for details on myGovID device model and software requirements.
Is there somewhere I can report a privacy breach?
If you are concerned about a breach of privacy, you can contact your identity provider or visit the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner website.
Is there somewhere I can report an identity crime or scam?
If you think you are a victim of identity crime, contact your local police. The IDCARE website also provides access to specialised identity support for Australia and New Zealand citizens.
Is there somewhere I can go for more information?
For more information, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.