Consultation on the exposure draft of the Trusted Digital Identity Bill and related legislative instruments
Consultation on Phase 3 of Australia’s Digital Identity legislation took place between 1 and 27 October 2021 (5.00pm AEDT).
Visit our About Digital Identity webpage to understand some key points about Digital Identity. We also address some common misconceptions about it.
On 1 October 2021, the Hon. Stuart Robert MP, Minister for Employment, Workforce, Skills, Small and Family Business released the exposure draft of the Trusted Digital Identity Bill and related legislative instruments for public consultation.
The purposes of the legislation are to:
- enable the expansion of the Australian Government Digital Identity System, specifically to enable greater participation by state and territory governments and the private sector
- enshrine in law various privacy and consumer protections, so that Australians can have confidence in the System and know that their personal information is safe and secure
- establish permanent governance arrangements and a strong regulatory regime.
Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on the proposed legislation. We are currently reviewing the feedback we received and will publish further information about the submissions before the legislation is introduced to Parliament.
Information relating to this phase of the public consultation is below. We aim to provide documents in an accessible format. If you require a more accessible format, please contact us.
- Your guide to the Digital Identity legislation
- Trusted Digital Identity Bill 2021 exposure draft
- Trusted Digital Identity Framework (TDIF) accreditation rules
- Trusted Digital Identity rules
- Regulation Impact Statement (RIS)
Exposure draft webinar
During the consultation period, we hosted a webinar for stakeholders about the draft legislation. In this webinar we explain what the legislation covers, and why it is needed. In particular, we explain how it will protect the privacy and security of your personal information, if you choose to get a Digital Identity.